Friday, September 21, 2007

Promise from a 10k race

Last Sunday I raced in The Canberra Times Fun Run, the biggest 10k in town. I had an odd sort of a race. In the week prior, I'd been flat out like a lizard drinking. Working long hours and doing long runs was wearing me out. By Friday I was feeling decidedly SteveLaceyish, so had a rest day from running.

On Saturday I went out to see how the pins (as 2P would say) were feeling. Not good. After 3k of shuffling, I decided my desire to run well on Sunday was overly ambitious, so changed a planned 6k easy jog into a 15k Hadd run (which strangely got better with the passing kilometres).

Sunday was a fragrantly delightful Spring day. Such was my lack of confidence about being able to run well (and addiction to Hadd mileage), that I decided to include the 10k race as part of a long run. Training shoes for this one, not the lighter Frees. I parked at Parliament house and 'warmed up' by running 6.4k back to the start, arriving with 10 minutes to spare.

Before long I was racing back from whence I came, running not far behind Sonia from the Speedygeese. Curiously, I wasn't feeling too bad. The 1k mark came up in 4:29 (really 4:17, as it had taken 12 seconds to get to the start mat). The next two kilometres were 4:11 and 4:16! Wow – 12:44 for 3k. This is strange, I thought, I'm running quickly. Then came 'the hill' up to John's house at 5k. I couldn't push my heart-rate above 155. Normally on a hill it'd be 160ish. My 5k split was 22:34. I was being overtaken by young children and old men now, but thankfully, no grandmothers pushing prams.

For the next 5k I ran along as best I could, feeling a bit tired, but not terrible, and with the heart-rate now around 148-150. I felt good in the final kilometre, enjoying running the last 300 metres or so with a very talented young girl, who sprinted ahead under the timing clock. I was very surprised (and pleased) with a chip time of 45:43. Now I just had to run the 4.5k back to the car!

I've been thinking about what can be learned from this race. Robert Song's suggestion about having a "target 5k race", rather than just racing regularly through the summer season has merit. I'm thinking of a compromise – a target month – maybe February, where I can race two or three times seriously, therefore giving myself a chance of good weather conditions (no wind and not too hot). The 5k at the ACT Vets Championships is also tempting, but that race is usually held in late March, not long after my 45k bush walk/jog through the Blue Mountains.

14 comments:

Runner Susan said...

That's an excellent idea Ewen. I've been thinking about running a few races the weeks and months after the marathon as well.

2P said...

On a promise from a 10k race hey? I'm surprised you had time to chat anyone up at that speed - must be the low heartrate affect from Hadd :)

Stephen Lacey said...

That's very good. I think it is the time we really discover the benefit of all those aerobic miles...when we go out and just throw everything on the furnace and find we keep on keeping on. Imagine what it will be like after a few weeks of sharpening workouts and a proper taper. I think those 2007 goals you set back in January are well within reach.

Samurai Running said...

Well done with the 10K Ewen it seems things are coming together.

Racing a couple in Feb also sounds like the go, but it will not be "fragrantly delightful" I'm afraid.

Anonymous said...

Nice guess Ewen but sadly no cigar!

Second from the left is Matty. He is a "group fitness instructor" at Fitness First - which is just a fancy way of saying he takes gym classes. He just did his first half ironman tri at Yeppoon.

The pro is third from the left or fourth from the right. Our very favourite Lisa Tulic, or Nemo as we like to call her.

Hope to see you Sunday. Travel safely.

wt

Superflake said...

A good race time Ewen. I hate that hill during the marathon first 10k. Why run up it again during a 10k? See you Sunday probably. I'll try and take happy snaps of the half as we don't start for 40 mins after that.

Toasty said...

I was thinking what is the 5K race to pick? I don't think there is one that stands out to me. What about the one at the Canberra marathon?

Phil said...

A target month is an excellent idea. I'm thinking about creating a target year

Tesso said...

That's a great time you went through halfway in. Wonder what you could have done if this was your target month and you were racing a 5k. Things are looking good!

Anonymous said...

Not too shabby at all for a relaxed trot.

Hope you had fun in Sydney on the weekend.

Thomas said...

I had a 5k in the summer where I felt that I should be able to run faster but just couldn't get the legs move any quicker. It had something to do with a powerful base but complete lack of speed training, which may well be the same thing you noticed during your 10k.

Grellan said...

Ewen, Great race given that it was sandwiched into a training run. With a bit of sharpening you'll cut through that time.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was that an M50 10k PB?

allrounder said...

ah but your net time was much quicket than Jodie's...

i'm right pleased with where im at although i'd like to be running the Customs 5k a bit quicker!

not so much long running now that cricket season is nearly upon me...

Ewen said...

Thanks all for your encouragement. Your comments are much appreciated.

To answer Grellan's question... it was an M50 10k road PB. The PBs I have listed are for track races (except the half and marathon). We have a nice track in Canberra, just recently resurfaced and I've just found out there's a 10,000m on 22 November :)