Monday, March 19, 2007

Farewell to the Mountains and Valleys

The Mountains and Valleys from Echo Point
After Six Foot I took six days off running – there's something nice and symmetrical about that. The quads were sore until last Thursday. On Saturday I ran with the group from Molonglo – just a 'lap' of Mount Ainslie – 16.3km. Strewth made us run up the hills. How mean! She was also first back to the cars, and ran a further 18k around the lake! Steve seemed fairly happy to have run his fastest Six Foot for 3 years (4:50:00), and was looking forward to the Glasshouse 80k in May.

It's with some sadness that I bid farewell to the mountains and valleys. My next big thing will be May's SMH Half Marathon, in the city and alleys. I'll decide on a goal time closer to the event, but under 100 minutes would be a good step towards my stated Gold Coast goal of 95:29. Both these times seem bloody fast right now. Speaking of half marathons, there's a great video from Flotrack of Ryan Hall running 59:43 in the Houston Half. That's fast!

When I'm out doing the long runs for Sydney, I'll recite in my mind the words from Henry Kendall's poem, thus reminding myself of the uplifting challenge enticing me back to the mountains next year...

By the channels of coolness the echoes are calling,
And down the dim gorges I hear the creek falling;
It lives in the mountain where moss and the sedges
Touch with their beauty the banks and the ledges.
Through breaks of the cedar and sycamore bowers
Struggles the light that is love to the flowers;
And, softer than slumber, and sweeter than singing,
The notes of the bell-birds are running and ringing.







6.30am Saturday 'Before'




Saturday night at the RSL club. Me (6:24:55), Carol (5:37:50), John (5:30:18), Bobby (Carol's better half), Anita (5:00:53), Roger (5:17:52), Elsa (Mike's better half), Mike (6:09:54)

21 comments:

2P said...

Don't forget the last verse (apols to Mr Kendall if this isn't exactly right):

Often I sit looking back to a childhood;
Mix't with the sights and the sounds of the wildwood;
Longing for power and sweetness to fashion;
Lyrics that beat with the heartbeats of passion;
Songs interwoven of lights and of laughters;
Borrowed from bellbirds in far forest rafters;
So I might keep in the city and alleys;
The beauty as strength of the deep mountain valleys;
Charming to slumber the pain of my losses;
With glimpses of creeks and a vision of mosses


I think that is right....

Lulu said...

You chaps have gone all poetic :) Great to see you on Sat and I'll be there in cheering capacity for your SMH run.

R2B said...

Ahh Ewen great minds think alike as i posted a poem today too!

I am balking at the cost of SMH at the moment $70 for a half is way steep!

Just because it always books up fast doesn't justify the price tag!

Vicky said...

Gee, what is it with you big, tough Aussie blokes and poetry??????!!!!!!! Nah, I like it really!!

Are you really venturing to NZ in the near future Ewen, or just having me on??

Look forward to following your journey to SMH and beyond.

MAR.

Rob said...

The poetry is good. The video is good. What a race. Did you see Ryan running up the hill under the bridge. He just sailed up it. I can't even run down hill like that.

Simlin said...

love that photo of the blue mountains.

TA and the Gnome said...

There's some advantages in the 'city & alleys' though, like
a) you're less likely to trip over a tree root and '2P' your hands, and
b) you're much closer to help if you do... :-)

Gnome

Phil said...

Thanks for the poem!

Best of luck training for you next 1/2 marathon ... 90 minutes would be a great time in my book.

Runner Susan said...

poetry and pictures . . . what a great post!

plu said...

cities and alleys

clasic phase in the context of the prevous one.

Don't forget the wind tunnel effect.

Plu

Tesso said...

I'd hate to be behind you if you had wind while running through the tunnel :-)

Nice poem. And as appealing as it makes the bush sound I do love the smell of bitumen in the morning, so will keep on avoiding those trails.

Sub 100 for sure for you at SMH. And why just 95:29 for the GC? I think you are being too soft on yourself!

miners said...

fantastic race report mate - and a wonderful relfective piece here too. I know what you mean about the infectious 6FT bug perpetuated by the infamous 2P ...

Thanks again (and again) for your wisdom and insightful suggestions mate. It's been helping me enormously during the troubled prep :)

PortRunr said...

Back into the hills already hey?!
Nice contrast in races I'm sure your 6 Foot campaign will help greatly towards your HM goals.

D said...

Congrats on completing 6FT! You guys seem to have so much fun!

Thanks for you recent comment - I hope you are right!!

Samurai Running said...

All this poetry and fine writing. It's getting much too high brow for the likes of me.

How about some "The boy sat on the burning deck..." verses or

just some simple stories on man vs the elements or

at least a few more spelling or grammar mistakes.

But I suppose if the people wanted that I would be getting more visitors to my blog.

Mat said...

Poems eh...

There once was a girl from Nantucket...

No, this is a family forum isn't it.

Well done on a great 6' mate.

Anonymous said...

Nice photo of the mountains.

Sorry, I can't compete with the poetry stuff.

Vicky said...

I've officially apologised to you for my diary/dairy blunder - in my comments!! How embarassing!! ;-)

Oh and 'Pre' ????


MAR. :-)

Spark Driver said...

Sounds like the recovery is going well.

TD said...

A beautiful post again Ewen, which touched all the right buttons from my perspective. A really wonderful bit of poetry there too. There is nothing wrong with us macho guys liking a bit of the stuff from time to time.

Miners posted a very perceptive comment about you which I very much agree with too.

Best of luck with the SMH half. I may run it depending on how I pull up from Boston.

Hilda said...

Lots of motivation words always here.

That run with Strewth sounds incredible specially after the recent race at SFT.
Having a real team like you guys have there should be so helpful!

Thanks for visiting and asking for me, I had some technical problems besides the life changes, but I'm still running.

Now you can find me at:
http://wanttorunmore.blogspot.com/