Sunday, November 26, 2006

89 seconds

I've just finished my first Interclub 3000 metre race for the season. I ran about what I expected – 13:28.37. It was a pretty lonely run. I started in last place and had this position well and truly secured after less than 100 metres! I was lapped by the entire field and twice by the leaders. The winner was Kale Symons, an under-20 Victorian who ran 9:05.

I need to find 89 seconds before March if I'm to run under 12 minutes for 3000 metres. I've taken a few positives from the race. These are simple facts to remind me what happened, as I hate making excuses... It was a warm and windy day, so conditions were less than ideal. I didn't bother with light shoes, so there's a bit of time there. I only started speedwork this week. I ran for 1 hour 46 minutes yesterday morning which I wouldn't normally do the day before a race.

In the comments on my last post, Tesso asked about my best 1k time. I rarely raced 1000m, so my good 1k times were run in training. 1000 metre repeats on the track were a common session we ran in the late 80s and early 90s. I can remember running 3:06 during a set of 3 x 1000m. On November 8, 1990 I was training with Speedygeoff's group on the 400m grass track at Bruce Tafe College (now Raiders HQ). I wrote in the diary: "4 x 1000m in 3:10, 3:16, 3:09, 3:15. 800m slow recovery jog in 5:54. Steady, felt good, chasing Robert Ey. Cooler, track good." If I can do a similar session, with 45 seconds added to the times, I'll be confident of achieving the 3000m goal.

17 comments:

Samurai Running said...

I was thinking it was kind of strange that in running someone that has done 3:09 for 1K is battling to do 4mins but on thinking about it it isn't too strange.

I mean in golf for example, one could eagle a par five one time and just as easy four putt the next hole.

So what's the answer to the practical question on how do we get back to the times of old, or go into new territory?

I reckon it is by chipping away. As you mentioned, the footware, weather conditions and more speedwork will contribute. But
the 12min barrier wont be broken until a number of months of honest work have been put in.

Seems to me that there are no short cuts to improved performance in running and you know it. In my case the last 3K TT I did I couldn't do a PB because in my mind I knew I hadn't put the work in and my body agreed.

Em said...

Goes to show the merits of diligent record keeping!

Love how you say "I don't make excuses", I feel the same way, everything that happens is just something to learn from.

Tesso said...

Gosh, those 1k times are sooooo good!

I have to agree with Scott, just gotta keep on chipping away. I'll bet my bottom dollar you'll get there by March. If not, you'd better send a food parcel (full of chocolate) my way ;-)

2P said...

Nice work Ewen - the odds are probsbly even money for which one of us will go sub 23 for 5 (or sub 13 for 3) first.

Keep it going mate - I'm lovin the virtual competition ;-)

TA and the Gnome said...

You know all the magic formulae. Just add work over Summer and watch those times tumble :-)

Gnome

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you'll get there, what's 89 seconds between friends.

PortRunr said...

Like you said, you've only just started some speedwork after the recent niggles. I'm sure you'll hit your goal in the new year.

Unknown said...

I think you might be putting too much time into coaching other athletes! If you dropped one of the "slower & less talented" ones you'd have more time to concentrate on your own running!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It's always good to have something to aim at. Ganbatte Ewen!

R2B said...

Ewen you know almost exactly what needs doing don't you?

The question is are you ready to give what it takes?If you are then you just need to break it down and work on it.

1 second per lap over 12 weeks will do it nicely.Will be checking in as always.

R2B

Clairie said...

Heh Ewen, it won't happen over Summer - the weather is only going to get hotter and windier from here.

But what you can do as R2B said - is work on it bit by bit and it will come.

When you ran the 3000m on the weekend did you run each lap consistently or were you fast with some blown out laps? It all makes a difference as to how you face your training.

Me I run hard to start, slow in the middle and run hard to finish.

So my training and work is focussing on how to NOT slow down. Tess said if I start off sprinting the last TWO laps instead of just the last ONE and then keep increasing it with every race I do eventually I will be sprinting the whole race!!

Rachel said...

It's amazing you have been so diligent on your training records for so long!
Keep at it. The hard work will pay off.

Don Juan said...

Sub 12 mins is definitely doable for March 2008.

I'd steak my reputation on it. Sizzling times for the 1km.

D said...

Your patience and experience will get you to you goal. Can't wait to see (read about) it happen.

miners said...

well it all seems prety straight forward - just pull your socks up and get back to those 3.09's and it shouldn't be too much trouble ;)

awesome kms from a while back ewen - and awesome work on getting back into the speedy stuff. Won't take you long to get under 12 :)

Hilda said...

Hi Ewen,

Cutting those 89 seconds, ok tell us the secret to get there!

Thanks for visiting me even when I don´t write :-)