Sunday, February 19, 2006

All still smiling

I'm still in recovery mode after yesterday's long run. It was very difficult - harder than the 40 kilometre run/walk of the previous Saturday. Steve Appleby had decided to take his 6ft group over Mount Rob Roy and beyond for 'about' 35 to 38 kilometres.

I joined them at the Calwell Shops and we ran across the oval and onto the track behind Theodore. The sun was rising to a cloudless blue-sky morning and, already at 7.20am, it was ominously warm at 20 degrees C. Us at the summit of Rob Roy (by Zel)
We all carried extra water. I had an 800ml bottle of 'Mizone' in addition to the 700ml in my fuel belt. This would prove to be woefully inadequate.

Some sections of the tracks on the northern ascent of Rob Roy are incredibly steep. One particular rock-strewn hill reduced even Steve and Elizabeth to a walk. After 14km we re-grouped at the very ancient trig station on the summit of Rob Roy. Zel took a couple of photos with his mobile phone. At this stage we were all still smiling.

Soon we were off on a free-fall descent down the south-eastern side, dropping about 300 metres in 3 kilometres. Once through the paddocks at the bottom we turned right and commenced climbing again.The old trig station (by Chris) I walked all these uphill bits. I could see that Catherine and Mike were using a combination of walking and jogging. Chris was jogging slowly and I presume Elizabeth, Steve, Zel and John were jogging quickly.

I wasn't having a good day and decided to take the shortest route home. I was rationing my water. There was a cool breeze blowing on the high plains which disguised the energy-sapping sun. I was walking, but quite slowly as I knew I was suffering from dehydration. I was thinking "How bad is this! I'll be glad when it's over".

This was the opposite to my mood on Thursday night. How good had that been! Luckylegs, in her first race on the track had missed the world mile record for a 75+ female by just 7.48 seconds. This was in spite of me telling her to chase Cory who I thought was in the same age-group. I was shocked by Cory's seemingly suicidal fast start. I know she has good genes from daughters Sarah and Melanie, but... that good? Luckylegs took it all in her stride running a very even-paced race to establish an ACT record for W75s - 9:06.88. Afterwards we celebrated at Dickson with Aki and Flash Duck.

I rested in the shade of an old Eucalypt on the descent of Rob Roy and gathered myself for the final plod through the bush to Theodore. After 29km in 4 and a half hours I was home and downed two big glasses of Coke before lowering my salt-covered body into bed. It was so good to be lying down! I didn't have the energy to drive to the Murrumbidgee where the other Six Footers had planned a swim. I just slept.

6 comments:

Tesso said...

I gather it was far from ideal conditions for 6ft training by the sounds of blogs I've read. I imagine that took a lot out of you. Hope you recover quickly.

Big congrats to you for the performance of your star pupil. You must be soooo proud of her. What an amazing performance!

strewth said...

That took some incredible endurance and perseverance - well done on an amazing effort. Everything will seem easy after that run in that heat! It sounds damn steep and HARD! Congrats on your success with LL - she's doing so well with your coaching.

R2B said...

Now that was a tough run...i don't know how people do the 6' track it was hard enough on a mountain bike!!
Wishing you a speedy recovery from your dehydration because i know it can affect you for days.
Cheers R2B

CJ said...

That sounded so tough Ewen - it was hot that day.

Well done to LL - she's coming along really well. Has she run out of sight on a dark night yet?

strewth said...

And my intention is to be at Parliament House next Monday so I can run the warm down with you - that's the best bit. We'll make Griffin run slower!!

Unknown said...

That sounded like it was even worse than running with me!

Next time as well as taking sufficient water, try a vegemite sandwich as well!