Sunday, September 18, 2005

The 2005 Canberra Times 10k Fun Run

Canberra's extended winter abated today leaving 4,000 runners and walkers with almost perfect conditions to attempt a PB or just enjoy the beautiful day and company of others.

At the beginning of the year I had a goal of running 39:58 for 10k. This would have been the day to do it. Well, I missed by a kilometre! 44:03 when I passed under the clock a few strides behind Katie as she left me floundering with her finishing sprint. forerunner man forgot to stop at the finish!So, I guess I'm in 44-minute shape for 10k, well behind my rival Jim White (42:10) and Geoff who ran a very speedy 40:41.

After finishing I collected one of the Canberra Times 'fat bags' (I knew they contained a water bottle) and chatted to Garry, Jillian, Peter and Greg in the chute. Then I collected my clothing and started walking back down the course a bit to watch out for Luckylegs. On the way I bumped into my cousin Don who had run with a couple of mates in 48 minutes.

I walked down that nasty speed-bump 100m before the finish, across the bridge and waited near Blundells' Cottage. In no time at all Luckylegs arrived, running very fast. How could this be? I thought she'd run about 70 minutes. I quickly yelled out "Go Norma!" She disappeared up the hill towards the finishing chute. I ran around to greet her and found her with Flashduck and Strewth. "Wow, what time did you run?" "65:46 and I had a fantastic time!" "Good stuff" I said. I was very happy that she'd had a good run.

The winners of the run were a surprised Anthony Haber who ran a brilliant 29:41 and Jackie Fairweather with 33:37. Anthony has only been running for 5 years and is coached by Hugh Ford. Jackie has been running for slightly longer - she said 20 years when she collected her trophy! After the presentations Katie organised a few CoolRunners for a group photo. You can see Griffin, Luckylegs, Speedygeoff, Aki, CJ, Flashduck, Strewth and green, mauve, orange, blue and other coloured shoes!Wombatface looking happy in yellow and blue with various coloured shoes.

Forerunner Man forgot to stop after the finish and did 12 kilometres. His 10k time was 43:42 so, I guess he thought the course was 10.1k. My real watch splits were 4:20 at 1k (felt very easy), 13:11 at 3k and 22:22 at 5k. My last 5k was 21:41. It's rare that I manage a negative split on this course so I'm thinking the 5k sign may not have been in exactly the right spot.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you ran expremely well! You have to remember that you're not as young, agile or as fast as CB these days! Good effort for an "old man" though!

When did you start this 'word verification' thing?

Ewen said...

My rate of decline is impressive, don't you think? I won't be able to run out of sight in a dark wombat hole when I reach 3 score and sweet sixteen.

I received an advertising spam comment yesterday so 'word verification' might prevent others from running all over my blog.

Ticket 4 Two said...

Hey! I just married a Ewen, so I thought I would check you're website out. No relation, I'm sure.... but it is a great last name!

CJ said...

What a great time Ewen - what's your secret? Maybe I need to get a training program off you!!!! It was fun on Sunday and perfect running conditions, for a change. Love the photos too.

speedygeoff said...

The 5k mark was wrong. My theory is that last year when they had the first 5k walk, all the walkers standing around cheering on the runners while waiting for the walk to begin, obscured the sign. (I missed it, anyway). So this year they moved the 5k mark further on to where everyone could see it. Makes sense? (not really - most of the other marks were wrong too).

Ewen said...

I think you're right Geoff. Maybe the same thing happened at the 8k mark - someone said 'put that sign well away from the aid station so it can be seen'. Very thoughtful.

I think my 'secret' is being able to get my head around the pain of a 10k race. Anything longer is an impossibility.

Wobbly man said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! Maybe we can get together for a ride one day? There must be an Albury fun run?