Thursday, June 23, 2005

Back in the High Life Again

On a trip to Surfers Paradise back in 1990 there was a CD we played which, when I hear it these days, takes me back to that time. It was 'Back in the High Life Again' by Steve Winwood. I remember the opening lines from the title track... "It used to seem to me, that my life ran on too fast, and I had to take it slowly, just to make the good parts last, but when you're born to run, it's so hard to just slow down, so don't be surprised to see me, back in that bright part of town."

In a little over a week I'll be back in that bright part of that brightest of all towns - Surfers Paradise! On Sunday 3 July I plan to be running hard. When I'm running I want it to be 'hard to just slow down'. At the beginning of the year I wrote my 2005 running goals at the top of my other blog. One was to run a half marathon in 91 minutes. I don't think it will happen at the Gold Coast. However, it'll be fun to see how close I can get!

On a different subject, I keep remembering something Dr JH said in a recent CoolRunning discussion... "I watch what I eat, avoid late nights and feel guilty if I haven't run twice that day, and I've done it for the last 25 years. If I'm not doing it that way I feel slack. It's the only way I've been able to run as well as I have (and certainly that hasn't been Mottram type levels). To me anyone can get out and jog 10k a day. Going out twice a day most days, going a few years without a day off, racing most weekends, doing hills, track, etc each week - that's running."

Jamie certainly knows how to make a 'once a day slacker' feel guilty! The only thing I don't feel guilty about is that I haven't wasted whatever modest talent for distance running I might possess. I realised in my twenties that a 62 second 400 metre time would only take me so far. I did experiment with some twice daily running back in the early nineties. In the eighth week of 1992 I ran twice on three days for a total of 118 kilometres that week. Four days later I ran my second fastest 3000m time - 9:56.9. Would I ever run twice a day again? Maybe. It would be interesting to see what happens...

7 comments:

tim said...

I missed that post from Dr JH.

I have tried running 2x a day. Now I realise that I ran my best times then. Plus when I only got one run in a day I felt like I was having a day off.

Unknown said...

I read that post by Dr JH & wonder if that method of running might have something to do with the fact that he now has some health problems & time out from competing in recent years & who wants to feel guilty every day of your life?

I'm OK with being one of the runners he refers to as : "anyone can get out & jog 10km a day", but I still call it "running".

CJ said...

I have to say Dr JH made running sound like hard work and not much fun. I find if I run more than 5 days a week I am more prone to injuries. Cross training works for me. Good luck for GC!

Ewen said...

cj, it can't be easy to run 14 sessions per week for month after month! Injuries can be a problem. I can't help thinking that if we were able to do that we'd run some pretty amazing PBs.

Obviously not a 28 minute 10k like Dr JH, but maybe something surprisingly better than what we're running now. I'm trying hard to overcome my guilty feeling! Thanks for your wishes re the GC... it should be fun.

Carolyne said...

Have a great (warm!) time at the Gold Coast Ewan, and remember to have fun when you run.

Thinking of on Sunday . . . I hope that all your training pays off.

Gronk said...

OK, now I feel slack. Dr JH twice a day, you once a day. Me 3 out of 7 days.

Have a good run @ GC !

Lulu said...

Good Luck on the GC Ewen. You'll be flying I'm sure!